Research Permits

Researchers are responsible for obtaining all necessary permits to conduct work at Año Nuevo.

  • All studies conducted at Año Nuevo require approval from the State Park via the UC Natural Reserve System (

  • Any study on vertebrates requires IACUC approval from your home institution. (UCSC's IACUC site)

  • Any study conducted at Año Nuevo Island requires a NMFS marine mammal permit or Incidental Harassment Authorization (IHA).

  • Sample collection may require a California Fish and Wildlife permit. (click here for more info)

  • Studies on marine mammals require a NMFS permit (NMFS website). Daniel Costa holds a NMFS marine mammal permit for northern elephant seals and california sea lions. Studies on these species should be coordinated with him (

Principal Investigators